Sara Duterte announced she will run for president in 2028

10
0
Share:

Vice President Sara Duterte declared Wednesday that she will run for president in the 2028 national elections.

“I am Sara Duterte, I will run for president of the Philippines,” Duterte said in a press conference.

The Vice President said President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. failed to uphold campaign promises and sworn duties.

She also said that she stepped down from her Cabinet post after deciding she could not support what she described as a 2025 national budget “tainted with corruption.” She claimed she had anticipated that her resignation would eventually lead to impeachment.

Before the press conference, Duterte ordered the removal of the logo of the Office of the Vice President in the podium. She did not answer any questions from reporters after her speech.

She said she was taking full responsibility for her political decisions and acknowledged public frustration over persistent national issues.

“Mga kababayan, humihingi ako ng paumanhin sa inyong lahat. Patawad kung tinulungan kong mahalal si BBM bilang Pangulo ng ating bansa (My fellow Filipinos, I ask for your forgiveness. I am sorry for helping elect BBM as President of our country),” she said.

Duterte said that as early as the first months of the administration, she had already begun questioning what she described as a lack of integrity in governance.

Duterte listed what she called the administration’s failures: continued flooding, rising prices of basic goods, food insecurity, weak healthcare systems, crumbling infrastructure, and the persistence of crime, illegal drugs, and terrorism.

She also criticized what she described as the absence of a clear and independent foreign policy, saying the country risks being caught between global superpowers.

“Patuloy ang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga pangunahing bilihin habang nananatiling kapos ang kita ng bawat pamilya (The prices of basic goods continue to rise while family incomes remain insufficient),” she said.

Duterte further claimed politically motivated investigations and repeated accusations were designed to damage her reputation, including what she described as “scripted” congressional inquiries.

“Matagal na akong inaatake gamit ang buong makinarya ng kapangyarihan (I have long been attacked using the full machinery of power),” she said.

While she said she was not afraid for herself, Duterte expressed concern for the country’s future, particularly for younger generations.

“May takot ako para sa ating mga anak. May takot ako para sa mga susunod na henerasyon (I am afraid for our children. I am afraid for the next generation),” she said.

Duterte said her candidacy is an offer of service rather than an appeal for sympathy.

“I cannot kneel before each and every Filipino to beg for forgiveness. Instead, I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation,” she said.

Share: